Friday 24 June 2016

The road to Berlin

Day 3 is all about miles, no particular waypoints just headed East to reach Berlin by the evening. SatNav is preset to avoid tolls and motorways, I want to make the miles, but I also want to see the country.

The natural rythm of A roads and slowing for villages, quiet spot for lunch and periodic refuels does me just fine.


Rain

Overnight the heavens opened, I woke in the early hours to find the hotel surrounded by an inch or so of water and thunder that never seemed to stop.  The weather front moving in the same direction as me - west to east - so I knew at some point I would be soaked.

Breakfast was all news of the UK Brexit on the telly, then a pause in the rain to don waterproofs and get moving. Hotelier comes out to take a picture of the car before I leave.

Sure enough couple of minutes down the road and wet through, and the biggest challenge being visibility. Driving in the rain is hilarious - if its not enough to drive gingerly and use available grip - the outside, inside and goggles all get covered in rain, with only the outside of the windscreen having wipers!

The rain was warm and dried out by around 10am - dried out enough to turn into a scorching day.


Heat

Then the heat took over - Germany, or at least this road, seemed to get hottest from around 2pm-4pm, and the route west meant little shade even when there were hedgerows, the sun was in my face in the morning and at my back all afternoon.

Banked roads on the corners - check the horizon vs windscreen level - thats not banking from the suspension - its literally like a high speed banked track, the car almost drives itself around the corner!



Woodland now and again providing some welcome shade.

Solpke

A welcome break from driving in a village called Solpke. Seeking out a church is usually a sure bet to find a quiet green and some shade. Single tree providing shade for the motor, and I took advantage of the cool shady area nearer the stone walls.

Spent a good 30 minutes here, just quiet and cooling off, listening to birdsong and generally calming down.



Tangermunde

Next stop when I could bear the heat no longer - also time to ping work and call in progress.

I understand it was around 35ºC - certainly felt like it. Tangermunde initially looking like an industrial town, but the camera icons on the satnav giving away there was more interesting areas to explore...


Medieval looking centre of town a good ice-cream shop and if I had time to stay a day or so, plenty to look round.



... and a hat shop!



Berlin!

Almost suddenly into built up subburbs, via Potsdam and following the satnav to my hotel.
Still cooking in the heat - but a change of architecture - a welcoming stone carved Berlin Bear, gates, columns etc.

Driving a little more tense in town - but still generally polite - I made sure I didn't get in the way of other traffic so no problems.


Arrived at the hotel around 18:40, drenched with sweat and a little sun burned - must have looked a sight turning up to the reception desk!

The outward journey, over the 3 days, is the best part of 800 miles, Zero never skipped a beat - well behaved and rock solid on the engine temperature even in the extreme heat. Different roads on this one - no mountains, plenty of fast straights or gentle bends and plenty to look at on the way.

Pure synchronicity the available car parking space was Number Six! I didn't even notice until later looking at the picture. 

I wrapped her up with the tonneau for the few days I am in town - business meetings on Saturday, a little sightseeing on Sunday, work Monday/Tuesday then back on the road for the return trip via some Dams.

No comments :

Post a Comment