Sunday 20 October 2013

Speakers and Radio fitting

Speakers

I upgraded the speakers to a couple of 3.5" waterproof ones, a little better looking than the ones that came with the radio. I am also intending to build some simple passive high pass filters to try and mitigate the distortion at very high volume:

The obvious place is in the boot panel; while this is behind the passengers its also closest to ear hight and discretely tucked away so you wouldn't really notice them unless you were looking. Final fit is waiting on some M3 nuts & bolts:

Radio

I changed my mind on the radio location, instead of the tunnel top I'm installing it in the aux panel, this should give it a better angle and more chance of reading the display. Worst case if it doesn't work I can always create a new panel and set it up as before. The radio will be instead of the boost/engine map switch button for now, potentially moving forward if I wire up the horn on the steering wheel centre push boost can come back.

First shot is for reference before I unplug everyting:

Getting worse before it gets better; the vinyl was savable, carefully peeled back, template marked up and the hole cut with my Dremel. Position was limited by the existing hole, vinyl to cover up afterwards and enough space behind the panel for wiring and the back of the unit:

The Radio comes with a couple of stainless brackets for fitting on motorbike handlebars, I modified them and drilled mounting holes in the site to line up with my aux panel cutout. These were all drilled right into the plastic radio case while it was disassembled:

I thought through it enough to cut some fitting tabs from the cutout, but I decided on left/right instead of top & bottom so had to bend the whole panel flat to drill out and install the radio:

The Radio sits with the top edge proud and the bottom edge flush with the front of the panel to get as good angle as I can on the display. The pane is a little cluttered now, but reasonably neat:



The screws holding the radio are 16mm self tappers, cut down so they dont protrude into the radio case too far. The small circuit board is the PWM controller for the heater fan:
















All ready for re-wiring.

No comments :

Post a Comment