Saturday 28 February 2015

Helmet & Skirt

With Scotland 2014 being 'sun burn' weather and the other long trips over the last 18 months having the luck of the weather the law of averages means I am bound to encounter some bad weather this year...

Preparation for getting wet in the car and a little comfort on the long motorway runs to/from events will now consist V2 Sport crash helmet enhanced with this morning's project: a skirt to stop the wind whistling around my chin and neck. Designed purely for road use I am not trying to meet any track standards.

Out with the sewing machine: simple band of waxed cotton, hemmed, lined in the front and 10mm velcro on the top edge to attach to the helmet. The fabric doesn't stretch so I left the back open/velcro close to ease donning and removal:

Test fit seems to work:
..of course a little nod in the design to James Hunt, I don't have the long blonde hair to go with it anymore though :)

Acid test will be whether it flaps too much in use and how long the self adhesive velcro on the helmet stays in place.

Update - 50 mile test drive, so far so good - the skirt removes the 'air blade' effect at my chin. Success.

No comments :

Post a Comment