Saturday 1 June 2019

Heroes of Telemark - Mael and Vemork

The Heroes of Telemark, a great movie based on a true story, Richard Harris, Kirk Douglas - whats not to like. A real adventure with the later scenes based around sabotaging the Ferry which carried heavy water from Mael station to Tinnoset.

A visit to Norway was always going to include Mael and seeing where the Heavy water plant was, this was my must visit location. Of course there's nothing there now from the real events or the movies but perhaps echos of the past somehow recorded in the place.

From Gaustatopen the weather opened up for the drive down the valley, fast straights and hairpins now with the road virtually to myself.

Nothing in the boulder catch nets above us.


At the valley floor a right turn with the railway line, the line that had originally transported materials from Vemork to Mael to be loaded on the ferrys.

Mael Station

There is a train which still runs, but I'm more interested in the train ferrys.
The place apparently is also the first location that had a standard gauge railway - if I remember correctly.


This is the location. In the movie I seem to recall the local school is loaded onto the ferry just after Richard Harris booby trapped it with the intention of sinking the shipment of heavy water, It's a long time since I've seen it though - I recall there is some ruse about practicing evacuation on deck so the kids can be rescued...   

I've also no idea how close the film is to real events.



Signal box... life size train sets, perfect!

Vemork - Heavy water plant location

Headed west along the valley, short stop in Rjukan for supplies - the typical ham/cheese and rolls to make a picnic, and we move off again, blue skies now and much warmer than the top of the mountain!


The road climbs up the north side of the valley, a couple of hairpins, I'm concentrating on the drive but just before a tunnel to my left theres something I immediately recognise.

The back of my neck tingles when I see these places in real life, the pipes down the mountain carrying the water and generating the electricity which was needed for heavy water production. I believe it's a different building now - but... best part of 80 years ago local resistance were on a mission to sabotage this place and disrupt the German production of an atomic bomb.

The sign describing the route the saboteurs took.


More top heavy barns...  but why? Anne thought she saw one with wheels too.

No comments :

Post a Comment