Sunday 30 June 2013

Hood fittings

Just a little progress, some practice with the fabric I picked up; 1000D PU Cordura & M75 thread.

The seam of choice would appear to be a 'flat felled seam' same as on jeans etc & my practice runs came out ok. This shows the detail on the fabric; matt Cordura finish on the good side with a waterproofing coating on the back:


I made my life a little difficult by not wanting poppers on the front edge of the screen - the leading edge of the hood will have a 4mm ali rod through it and held in place at three points by smaller brackets. The progress today was to work through the design of the bracket to hood fixing; with a couple of mockups and final paper pattern:


These pockets will sit just under the hem (upside down in this picture) which has the leading edge ali rod & stop it riding up:

Still not quite decided if I need a separate cut for the windscreen surround or try and make it out of a single piece,  no rush, just solve it one piece at a time.

Using contrasting thread might come back to bite me, but its got to be worth a go; provided I'm reasonably neat with the sewing it will look great.

Update - the half hood is on hold until the weather gets worse - too busy driving the car at the moment!

No comments :

Post a Comment