Friday 7 June 2013

Number Plates

I had the plates made up at a local garage, I also have some on order which are a little more minimalist - i.e. don't have the border or 'in your face' garage name & cut down the front plate size to the legal bare minimum. But these will do for now - the important thing is to get the car on the road.

Front

There is a small plate bracket as part of the kit - now with hindsight & 12 months experience building the car this is the sort of part I could easily make myself. Simple ali bracket which bolts to the underside of the nose.

I also took the opportunity with the nose off to remove the indicator extensions - I've been eyeing up some small motorbike style indicators but resisted buying so far. Currently fixing the plate with adhesive pads:

Rear

The back plate either fixes directly to the rear panel, or when my spare wheel is in place needed a couple of brackets on the spare tube. I had two stainless brackets from the original reversing & fog lamps which were perfect:

My two brackets, drilled & riveted, sitting behind the plate, & a nice small number plate lamp which is stuck in place & temporary wiring routed up to the original lamp which is still on the back panel. The dangling wire is temporarily held taught but in due course I need a better route for it through the spare wheel bracket itself:

The tiny number plate LED lamp is actually E marked from CBSOnline; I'll check it out in the dark to see how much it actually illuminates.

I think thats the last step - fully road legal!

Update - The number plate lamp sends light in all directions, including backwards. I've masked up and painted the back face so it doesn't show white light behind.

No comments :

Post a Comment