Saturday 1 June 2013

Windscreen - prep

Next up the windscreen

Frame adjustment

Adjusted the frame by carefully bending over my knee so it fitted my screen & marked off the places to trim the bottom rail at either side. The frame is all pre-bent from the factory, it just needed a little adjustment for a good fit:

Hacksaw either side in line with the bottom frame edge. I've seen these mitre'd too - but thought I would make a neater job if I stuck to just cutting the bottom rail. I'm not sure how the bottom rail attaches to the sides - possibly needs a little ali plug which can be screwed into?

With hindsight - when cutting the lower frame I should have left a couple of lugs on the end to slide into the side frames, realised this after I cut it of course & during a chat with Simon.B re his blog and experience.

I should have also explicitly allowed a couple of mm all round for the rubber seal which goes around the glass making it take up a little more room - I lucked out in the end & everything fitted, but more by luck than judgement.

Pillars

Checked the pre-drilled hole positions either side of the scuttle for reference, I didn't assume anything and measured both sides:

Then marked up on the bottom edge of each pillar. The holes are on a line between the inside and outside corners of the bottom edge rather than central:

I didn't have a round form to bend the pillars against, instead made small flexes at various points until the shape looked reasonable: 

This isn't bad - theres no point following the contour of the scuttle too far around or I'll end up with a sharp bend where the uprights need to go nearer vertical:

First Fit

I cut a hardboard template in place of the glass for fitting (as seen on Simon's Blog I think) and offered up the main windscreen frame. This is after 2-3 times off/on with the pillars to re shape everything. Its getting close - still needs some adjustment to move the whole assembly about 1cm to the offside & a twist in the pillars so they run square fore/aft and I can think about drilling some holes:

















I also need to consider space for rubber seals around the glass (hence everything sitting on a couple of layers of spare cloths/carpet) & make a final decision on the finish. The uprights will be black - hammerite or powder coat, not sure about the frame itself yet - I may leave it aluminium.

I've got some M4 flanged dome head bolts which I'm intending to attach the frame with. I also want to have fittings, or at least holes drilled, for door hinges & clips for a half top.

No comments :

Post a Comment