Monday 2 October 2017

Grimsel Pass 2,164m

Bright morning, found the single petrol pump in Oberwald, and headed back up the Furka road, under the bottom end of the narrow gauge railway this time to turn left and over Grimsel Pass. 


I'd seen the zig-zag of the road on the descent from Furka yesterday - but what was to come was a surprise.

Ascent

Early start means I have the road to myself - even time to pause and take some pictures without fear of getting stuck behind traffic. The stop also let me look properly at the view I could only glimpse over my shoulder while driving.

Furka road on the right, the road I'd just driven in front - the perfect mix of hairpins and wide enough road to safely hit the speed-limit.

The hotel half way up Furka just visible as a grey box on the distant mountain.

Green Rocks

At the summit, hotels and restaurants closed after the summer season and closed up or being repaired. Then round the corner - everything turns green - not the ground - the rocks!


The valley beyond contains a couple of reservoirs - again - strange green water - total opaque and still like its paint!

The road runs down, around the reservoirs then ducks down behind the dams, at one point it looks like you're going to drive right into the water!


The road doubling back beneath the dam on the left.

Beautiful Autumn Colours

Then nearer the bottom the green rocks give way to the colours of Autmn, vivid red/orange/green of foliage, my pictures cannot really capture the full feeling of this place. I wandered around for a good while just taking in the scenery.

Looking back towards the pass,

 ..and towards my onward route,


I Love this place!

Thats all for high mountain passes, my route leading north/ish now to lowlands and towards home.

No comments :

Post a Comment