Sunday 1 October 2017

Gotthard Pass 2,091m - ~50 year gap

After Stelvio I drive through northern Italy, around Lake Como then across the border into Switzerland. The day starts wet - not really cold - just wet enough to be interesting driving - I think I had the tonneau side doors on for part of the morning just to stop spray running down my back/legs.




Lake Como

My route touches the north end of Lake Como, then along its western shore before heading off toward Switzerland. Reasonably early, so a bit of a grey day -  no complaints though - its getting dryer!

Bit of messing about to find a photo op!


Then east at Menaggio, turn north at Lugano...

Gotthard Pass




Precedent

At some point in the 60s - based on he had a MkIII Ford Zodiac at the time which were new in 62 and it was before he got married in 67/68 - Dad had gone on his own road trip to Switzerland. Notes in the front of an old tourist guide seem to detail some of the route - it seems like he may have gone Lugano, Andermatt (via Gotthard), Zurich...

So this was a sort of pilgrimage, treading in his footsteps.

The architecture in Switzerland: half timbered chalets, wooden shingle siding, inverted V style door designs betraying themselves in the design of the family home Dad built. The house is even named after an alpine flower...

I wonder if he thought about taking his motorcycle?

The country must have made a huge impression on him.
I should have asked him more about his trip in detail.




Low Cloud

The weather had brightened up at low level, and some great views over my shoulder as I ascended, but once I hit the cloud half way up it was nose to tail traffic and thick fog to the top. The road transitions to cobbles part way up - not that I was going more than 5-10mph most of the way.

Proof! - I really was there, but had to park next to the sign to get it visible in the same shot. I hope Dad got some better views than me back in the day!

Sat in the motor for a bit - sandwiches for lunch and remembered a little.
A few tourists approached for a chat and a sit in the motor for memento pictures.

A real pea-souper - this view just across the road at the top of the pass, in theory theres a lake up here somewhere too - but don't really want to find it by stumbling into it.

Onwards, towards Furka!

No comments :

Post a Comment