Tuesday 9 April 2019

Timing belt bottom cover

The engine is coming apart, aux belt off etc, so also a chance to tidy up some other jobs.

When I changed the timing belt in 2015 I couldn't loosen the harmonic balance pulley, somehow I got the bottom plastic cover off (in pieces) but couldn't get a new one back on.

Now I have the right tool for the job - an electric impact wrench.
Car in gear, handbrake on and the bolt/pulley is removed.

Good amount of gunge sitting around the open bottom sprocket,

Cleaned up the muck and now much neater with the cover in place,

Pulley re-installed at around 115nm of torque - torque wrench to 112Nm (its maximum) followed by a good buzz with the impact wrench to make sure.

Much better and what I should have done the first time.

No comments :

Post a Comment