Sunday 5 August 2012

Rear panel - top edge fit

I began working the top edge. Marked out a line 1.5cm in from the edge all round then 10cm spacing starting in the centre and working outwards.

I did try marking the sides 10cm spacing at first, then measuring the tab distances; I ended up simply visually looking at the position of every other tab when I had the panel where I wanted it and marking/drilling each one individually, working towards the front of the car.

That first hole around the corner, I drilled through the top shroud, then lent on the panel to get it in the right place and marked through the hole position to the tab underneath. Drilled the tab separately then put in the cleco to hold it.

Once the first one was in, the g-clamp held the straight side & I could drill through shroud & tabs all the way along.

My test piece of trim visible on the left of this picture; I probably need one more rivet right on the corner..

Level?

The trailing edge of the boot is not quite level - maybe 1-2cm 5-10mm higher on the nearside when compared with the top chassis member which runs behind the seats. Its only noticeable if you look at the car square on from front or back with eye level at boot rim level - but now I've seen it I'll have to at least try and do something about it. I need to remember to adjust the diagonal roll bar braces before fitting the offside - once the holes are drilled & clecos in place they become rock solid.

I did actually read about this on Shaft's blog months back - of course, didn't remember to check my own before starting the panel - doh!

The Olympics seems to have brought out the summer weather, there was heavy rain this morning but its left behind bright, really hot, weather. To hot to mess about in the garage all day!