Saturday 22 September 2012

Chassis plate

My original chassis plate had to come off.
I thought I would save time and get one fitted before delivery of the kit, i.e. get the only piece of welding on the build out of the way - unfortunately a mistake meant it had the wrong VIN embossed.

I tried a number of options, including re-stamping the existing plate & stamping the chassis direct - ultimately though I needed my replacement VIN plate welded on.

RHOCaR helped out - specifically Jon (a.k.a. owlman) kindly offered to drive over and weld the new plate on for me. Many thanks Jon!

Jon drove over in his Robin Hood 2B, which not only woke the neighbours up :)  but also reminded me the sort of machine I'm building & added to my enthusiasm to get my Zero on the road. Jon's 2B:


My chassis plate - sorted:

I put the plate in the same place GBS put the original - it turns out (hindsight again) there is an oval opening on the offside panel lip to fit the plate under, it may even be possible to glue it in place under the side panel and appear as a permanent fixing avoiding the need for any welding on the build.