Sunday 2 September 2012

Tight

This morning I lined up the engine on the car centre line and checked clearances.

The starter motor bottom bolt is (I think) a little too close to the chassis, its about a 3mm gap. I'm going to gather opinion, RHOCar & GBS before I change anything, but suspect it needs cutting down a little.


The bell housing cut looks fine though, a good 10mm clearance from any panel/chassis tube. With hindsight the top cut could have been straight (aesthetically) but not an issue from a clearance point of view.

Answer-> Consensus so far seems to be its probably ok, however GBS is recommending taking a little off to avoid it potentially catching under hard acceleration.

It will be easier to do now than later, I can prop up the engine a little to get access with the Dremel without having to remove & re-install it.