Saturday 22 September 2012

Boot floor

Finishing off the boot floor; The two end plates go in - only riveting where I know I am clear of the fuel tank & bonding around the entire perimeter. The second picture shows the large gap between the back of the fuel tank and the rear panel:

In passing I also thought through & circuit tested the potential need for a fuel tank earthing strap - The fuel sender is earthed via the loom and the sender electrically connected to the tank by its screws, I don't think it needs any other earthing (might check for consensus)

The fuel tank sits about 10mm under both the end plates and the general level of the boot. I'm using some foam carpet underlay to level off the space & in due course will be creating a simple fabric link between the floor and back panel to avoid things falling down the gap onto the road:

Flush fitting rivnuts installed to hold the differential area access plate & some rubber trim edging to stop the worst of the road water/dirt getting into the boot space:

The fuel sender has spade terminals, the loom comes with eyelets & with hindsight I should have done this before putting the rear panel on, bending over the boot area to solder/strip wires is not that comfy:

I used a couple of linen kitchen cloths tailored to fit the boot space to fill the gap between rear panel and boot floor. Simply cut to shape and corners/fraying edges held in place with rubber glue (Copydex):

Offered up, but not to be fixed until I have finalised the re-enforcing on the back panel for the spare. My intention is to glue these only to the back panel so I can lift if need be and gain access to the wiring, fuel sender etc. They will do the job though; there should be no issue with boot contents finding its way onto the road. This is all eventually covered with carpet: