Friday 23 November 2012

Windscreen wiper motor & gearboxes

Even though the windscreen will not be fitted for IVA I need to work out the layout under the scuttle, so I'm going to fit the wiper mechanism then remove:

Getting ok with pipe flaring now then a couple of dowels help bending the last pipe: 

Not a bad job... except... spot the deliberate mistake!  I forgot to put the nut on the pipe before flaring the ends, I didn't even notice until I had bent the pipe into the right shape. I knew it was going too well:

Luckily I had just enough length to cut off the flare, put on the nut and re-flare:

In situe with the wiper motor just offered up for position at this stage. I also have a couple of marker holes just above the motor through the firewall which need opening up for the battery cables - they are waiting for a cone drill:

The string was my tape measure for working out how long to cut the end bent tube & the large rubber pad is in the wrong place in this picture - it should be between the motor and the firewall.

I have the gearboxes the other way up from all build diaries I have seen; Once I can get some power to the motor I can work out which way it moves and flip over the park position cam if I need to. The gearboxes seem to take up less room this way around.

There is a final tube to go on the end - I'm not sure how long to make it though so it will have to wait until I've actually run the wiper motor & checked the maximum extension of the push rod/spring.