Saturday 29 December 2012

Front Indicators

My reading of the IVA (October 2012) is indicators must be:
  1. Less than 400mm from the widest part of the car
  2. At least 500mm apart
  3. 350mm to 1500mm from the ground
  4. 80º outwards, 20º inwards visibility
  5. 15º upwards, 5º downwards visibility
Checking various build pictures it looks like they roughly sit mid height of the front grile opening and roughly level with the front of the mudguards.

Measuring stick prepared with the key 350mm & 400mm measurements and begin to markup. I decided on 400mm height. The only weight not in the car is passengers and coolant, so I'm hoping this is a good margin above the 350mm regulation:

Double checked the steering on full lock with the mudguard roughly in place to ensure I have sufficient clearance:


Then the holes, 4mm pilots followed by 10mm x2. I decided to drill them on the car with it sitting level; the holes are just in front of the radiator position so managed to miss holing that too:

Getting to the next step took a good amount of work; the brackets needed adjusting to leave the indicators straight and level. Initially they were pointing down and forwards by a significant amount due to the shape of the nose.

In this picture the right hand one is still twisted up a little too much, but soon corrected:

Inside I need to at least add the plugs, possibly extend both lines; With my radiator grille I have no access inside the nose once it is installed so need to make sure I can get at the wires to plug into the main loom: