Friday 28 December 2012

Front lights prep

Indicators

I am using stock GBS indicators and extension kits; 

The extension arms need a 4mm hole which lines up with the lug on the indicator arms:

Then fully assembled with the 'M10 allthread nipples'; They are normally used for passing cables into interior lamps & have non standard threads so need buying as a job lot, tubes and nuts together:


I eventually found the right sized gaiters for the extension arms, these are Peugeot 206 steering arm gaitors with the narrow end opened up. I marked up a circle about the diameter of a WD40 lid then cut about 3mm inside it which seemed to be about right:

All set to fit on the nose - I need to dig out the IVA rules on indicator positioning & be in the right frame of mind to drill holes in the nosecone. It also seems quite a heavy setup to be hanging off a relatively narrow mounting point straight onto the GRP nose - perhaps some nice large washers are in order.

Headlights

Again, stock GBS headlights, although I think they have some flashy LED ones now on new kits.
The wiring on the headlight case is replaced with a GBS loom, then everything is keyed and foolproof - theres only one way it can all go:


First time on the car, although it will come off again to have the main fitting threaded tube shortened appropriately. I didn't use the dish shaped washer under the light mounting - its too big, I used a standard washer then the locking washer instead:

Nearside appears to be working, just trying the leads directly on the battery I have side light, main and dip beam.