Sunday 13 January 2013

IACV Test & Engine Run


Until this point I knew the engine turned over (see previous post) but since I was intending to use the IACV for idle control I have not adjusted the air intake butterfly valve at all.

IACV Control

I spent some time trying to get the IACV to work but no luck initially; sought help from RHOCar, but this time no luck there either.

I found on Emerald's website has a FAQ which runs through the basic setup process both the wiring and controlling the valve. 

Essentially:
    Set for 300hz frequency,  upload map, restart ECU
    Set for manual control, upload map

Then the valve can be tested with ignition on, but engine off, page up/down change the duty cycle in 1% increments. As per the FAQ, the main action is between 20% and 70% duty cycle, I can probably programme this range into the ECU Map in due course.

Engine Test

Time to test it with the engine running; i set the IACV manually to about 40% then started the engine, this time it kept running & I was able to control tickover manually with the computer connected to the ECU.

Result!

Now the engine was running for more than a couple of seconds I could do some other basic checks too:
  1. Volts - 14v - presumably charging since over 12v nominal
  2. Oil pressure - looks fine
  3. Fuel - still empty?   
  4. Water - cold - it is snowing today, so no surprise there
  5. No sign of the alternator light, although I need to double check where it is on the Smiths instruments
I do have a great deal of exhaust escaping from between the head and manifold at the moment - thats not good. Re-using the OEM gasket was probably a bad idea.

Theres also a lot of muck deposited down the side of the car - I've no idea if I am running rich?

Watch your volume on this video:
The engine speed change is me manually moving the IACV from around 37-40%




This does confirm my IACV mounting and circuit though - so I can set those up more permanently. The next challenge is working out the settings to let the ECU control it automatically!