Friday 18 September 2015

Newhaven Ferry - France and the Road south

Ferry vs. Tunnel

While I was planning the trip in August there were issues with the Channel Tunnel either being blockaded or closed due to migrant activity, so decided to take the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry instead. While the crossing itself is slower, the prices are lower and it drops me west of Paris all set for the first leg south.
An overnight stop near the Ferry terminal reduced the risk of traffic affecting me getting there on time. 10:00 sailing means 08:00 arrival to check in. Overnight rain, then again in the morning meant I was togged up in waterproof kit & still soaking wet before the off:

Soon relaxed again though and dried out on board; approx. 3 hour sailing to watch the world go by, eat, read and take bracing walks on deck...


My plans were a drive for 1000 miles in the open top car I built in my garage; there were braver/dafter? than me on the ferry; a group of 20+ cyclists who apparently cycled down from Liverpool; don't know their final destination.


Towards Anet

The ferry arrived at Dieppe around 15:00, so back on the road around 16:00 for a 100 mile run to Anet. Nothing of note, other than the weather - stair-rods near Rouen and at one point as much water on the inside of the windscreen as the outside. 

Design of my Zero seating position means I can't quite reach the windscreen to mop it; so with wipers going full tilt, inside misting up and goggles wet too it was getting a bit hairy...
All safe to Anet early evening though and stopped at a motel type hotel on the edge of town. 20 minute walk back into town for dinner to stretch my legs, Circus tents visible in the distance - I didn't drop in though.


The only time the new roof was up was for overnight waterproofing; just means I start dry in the morning:

The Hotelier said the weather should get drier south of the Loire... we shall see...

2 comments :

  1. Why didn't you put your roof up? Surely better than nothing, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. TBH - its more fun without...
    Roof up you lose the view, suddenly looking out a letterbox of a windscreen.
    Its only water; won't really do any harm. The roof is really only if there was going to be rain all day and risk of turning the car into a small mobile pond.

    ReplyDelete