Monday 21 September 2015

Le Grande Descent

You could spend a month of Sundays exploring the various roads in the area, I have to move on though - this is a road trip with a destination, I need to be in Barcelona by the evening and be ready for work next morning. This still isn't a straight route - still seeking out some windy roads or things that just looked worth visiting...

This is a day of surprises, first - the mountains are as much fun going down as up, and second, Catalonia and the changing landscape to wide open spaces with the heat just blows you away.

Early up to check the car before breakfast, the sun still isn't over the distant peaks yet.

Oil is fine, only drunk a sip so far, coolant good too; so we are all set.

Plenty of driving before I stopped for this picture at the top of a section of hairpins down to Genos Loudervielle on the D25; The cyclists I was sharing the road with stopped at the top, this hairpin just sums up the mornings drive:





The view of Bossost in the valley, just over the border into Spain.

An interesting place, a large river through the centre of the single street town and industrial, either water pumping or sawmills on the edge of town. 10:00 woke up a coffee shop so I could partake of second breakfast. My Spanish is worse than my french, pre-looked up a couple of phrases for bathroom, and of course coffee is universal.

The road after Bossost is the most awesome experience, running down through deserted ski centres and whole towns it spends a good 20 minutes of reasonably fast, made up roads, hairpins and straight stretches, I couldn't believe it just kept going!


I needed to stop at the bottom, driving through unavoidable cows muck the front wheels flicked it over the back wheel arches. Again my Spanish put to the test working out how to use the Jetwash.

Ever onwards a pause near Talarn for lunch on the edge of a reservoir, the heat now amazing; France was nothing, Spain is like being in a sauna, driving at 60mph is like being in a windy mobile sauna! The roads are good though, very smooth, few potholes, very little traffic too.



Find the shade when you can, packed lunch again...

Looking back west from near Benavent, huge space, the pictures unfortunately cannot really do it justice. At times I actually felt I was driving through a Leone Western.

Then at the end of a long run south, I was getting tired, and expected Barcelona to be closer than it was, SatNav never failed me though - I just diligently followed it right into the centre of town and to my reserved underground parking.

Packed up the car, tonneau and roof on to deter anyone taking too close a look and then a taxi across town to the hotel. I was cooked by the sun, notwithstanding regular sun-tan lotion top ups, very tired, but... well actually just VERY hot, tired and thankful of the taxi aircon  :) 

We did it!

Half way point - GN13 and me in one piece after approx. 1000 miles driving.
The whole experience so far incredible, the easy start with northern France then the two stunning days up, over and down from the Pyrenees.

I know plenty of people drive to the south of France on Holiday and probably make regular longer trips than this one - I suspect the number reduces who have done it in an open car, and reduces a little more for a self built car. This drive in any vehicle is amazing! Can recommend!


Now to change mindset: think about work for three days, and hope the parking I had booked was as secure as advertised!

(Video footage to follow once edited)

No comments :

Post a Comment