Saturday 19 September 2015

The long haul south

Weather improving, but this was the long haul through France towards the higher ground. I hadn't picked out any particular attractions en-route, other than driving through the centre of Tours rather than around an anonymous ring road.

Dual carriageways really focusing on making up the miles.
Mantra/song/habit in my head now whenever I start the car... "drive on the wrong side of the road!"

A pause at Chateau-Renault for fuel and hot chocolate. French towns/villages have it right with parking - find a spot and spend money with the shops rather than feeding parking meters.

...and into the sun now at Lile-Bouchard south of Tours visible from the sharp shadows. I drove through the centre of Tours, along the River Loire and past the Cathedral, no stopping, except at traffic lights and a few acknowledgements/waves and thumbs up from passers by. I think generally people were pleased to see the little car, something different, traveling through all the places I visited.

Lunch at a park just outside Richelieu. A welcome break from the buffeting wind and constant motion... a model to settle into for the trip, picking up sandwiches and packed lunch at supermarkets with the first daily fuel stop, then finding a quiet spot to relax over lunch - certainly away from any traffic for a few minutes.

The Hotelier from the first night was right, south of the Loire the weather was warmer, sun more constant, so while still driving with a jacket against the buffeting my tan (er sunburn) was topped up!

Finally arriving at my modest/budget hotel; Eating alone at the Buffalo Grill next door I was seated beneath the 'sad/thoughtful indian' picture. I'm sure I have read/seen somewhere this is the reserved spot in these establishments for anyone asking for a 'table pour une'. Never-mind! - the medium rare burger was declicious (if not really French) & cold beer a welcome end to the day.

The hotel itself was a little large for my taste, too many people, so I decided to escape early the next morning before dawn and hopefully make the most of my limited time in the mountains!

No comments :

Post a Comment