Monday 27 March 2017

Dursey Sound to Cahersiveen

The original plan was to cross direct north over Healy Pass then west to see the cable car at Dursey Sound. Since I had already driven the pass yesterday evening today's route reverted to a more straightforward - follow the coast road.


Dursey Sound


The weather stayed with me - fantastic blue skies all the way and a nice fast road until the very end where the road weaves through a few houses and to the cable car which crosses to Dursey Island.

Only pictures this time - I didn't fancy the cable car trip. I heard rumours later that cattle are taken across in this contraption too! Quite a current through the narrows between the headland and the island.


Which way? - in-fact there is only one road at this point - back the way I came before branching left to follow the coast north.

The road heading east again before I can go north, stunning views and empty roads, across the water is the next headland, my target before lunchtime.


O'Carroll's Cove

Perfect day, and getting slightly cooked, couldn't find the road up to Moll's gap - closed for some reason, so instead kept on around the coast. I stopped at O'Carroll's on the beach and just relaxed for an hour or so watching the decidedly green sea against a sandy beach you would expect to have to travel much further to see.

Stunning - the sea really is green around Ireland!


Ballinskelligs

Middle of the afternoon and I'm at Ballinskelligs and a small tea shop with more amazing views back across the bay towards the south.


R566 North

Headed north the R566 now climbs and winds it's way up over the headland.

Looking west...



...and then north towards Valentia Island where I'm headed. Its almost impossible to capture in a picture, or two, the panorama just goes on forever!


Honest - wasting my rubber on donuts is not my thing - but careful positioning of the car makes an interesting picture!

Thumbs up and smiles from two walkers headed south as I motored down the other side.


Campsite at Cahersiveen

A little change of plan, my original intended campsite on Valentia Island was not open so onwards via the Knights Town ferry to the Mannix Point CampsiteI was once more the only person staying, good long chat with the caretaker standing in for the owner. A real character with some strong political views but happy to see an interesting car turn up and friendly.

Dinner - my now routine one pot cooking - tea and some sort of pasta.

Damage noted on the Zero, I've lost the nearside indicator lens at some point - the indicator itself is still good, and nothing to be done for now.

After dinner just soaked in the view until the sun set.


Fantastic day!

No comments :

Post a Comment