Wednesday 29 March 2017

Craggy Island, Jewel of the run and the End

Final day, I need to get to Westport at a decent time and meet up with my wife and Daughter, still plenty of time, and plenty of miles to enjoy on the way.


Craggy Island and The Burren

A decidedly wet day today, hunkered down in the car and kept reasonably warm between the downpours. My route leading inland after the Cliffs of Moher across The Burren, a strange landscape of exposed eroded rock. The road very low in places with high water sometimes surrounding me.

Parts of the road just cold and grey - felt like the Dead Marshes from LOTR, and so - once I had that thought I managed to give myself the creeps!


Interesting shell of a house or castle, I think I passed this way at least twice not quite sure of the route. My mood combined with the weather this feels perhaps like the House of Usher from Kidnapped with its stairways to nowhere!

Then - there it was! Just thinking I should stop and double check my satnav and pulling over there is a familiar house. Found it, the house used for external shots of Father Ted's house from the Channel 4 comedy of the same name. It is privately owned so a few photos and I'm headed off again.


R336, R335 - Galway, Maam Cross, Leenaun, Delphi to Louisburgh

Just when I thought I may be just focusing on the finish line - the jewel of the trip.
First a little frustration, the coast road pulled me into and around Galway - nothing against the city - I'm here to drive though not get stuck in traffic!

Then I divert - not around the coast road but towards Maam Cross - and just wow!

The rain from the morning has cleared so drying road and the view just opens up for mile upon mile of that perfect combination of weaving and rolling drivers road.



The striking thing about all the roads - no absolute height, plenty of roads virtually at sea level - but incredible views. Scenery you might expect on a painting just right there in real life.



Old Head Quay

Making good time, hit the coast at Louisburgh then a pause at old head to swap out the car camera SD card and make sure I didn't lose the footage of the drive north.

A quiet bay car on the harbour wall, not a soul around.




Rosmoney Pier

The final stop - Rosmoney Pier west of Westport, a small cottage right on the sea. I met up with my wife and daughter. The Zero parked up for the week while I take a break from driving and we do some standard tourism for a week or so.


This way to corners!

Reference to the most useful sign in Ireland, once you see this its a signal of a patch of excellent twisty roads to enjoy.

Chequered Flag

My finish line, the local Wesport Gaelic Football team's colours combine to provide my souvenir chequered flag. Some great driving, on the way through wales, along the coast and today inland. Weather mostly good - but always permitting a view so no issues there!

Thank you Ireland.
Thank you GN13!

No comments :

Post a Comment