Tuesday 28 March 2017

Dingle, Loop Head to Doonbeg

The weather freshening up today, it feels like I'm going to get soaked at some point! However - onwards, keep the sea to my left and heading north.

Dingle Peninsula

A straightforward route today - follow the Wild Atlantic Way signs along the south coast, to the cross and back along the north.


Cross at Slea Head

Good run until near the very end and I was stuck behind two coaches taking it very gingerly around the single track road, they didn't even stop at the cross - just kept going at around 10-20mph! Noticeably different weather today - still clear enough for views but full waterproofs donned.


Spending a little time on the view to let the coaches get well ahead, the northern return was a more enjoyable run.


Conor Pass


Fast ascent on the empty road, where safe straightening the route by apexing corners, captured on video. Wind at the top was exhilarating, I adore being buffeted by really strong wind - it makes me feel alive.

Although the weather had closed in the clouds were cooperatively staying just a touch higher than the pass so I still had an excellent view! The wind was blowing so hard it knocked the wind deflectors forwards into my mirrors so for a while no rear view.


The wide south ascent contrasting with a single track narrow descent...


A little further on towards Tralee, a tanker and a van - both happily blocking the road and having a chat for literally a couple of minutes. I'm in no rush - neither were they - just go with the flow.

Shannon Ferry

Half an hour crossing across the Shannon another chance to relax and let someone else take the driving responsibility for a while. This shortcut saves a huge amount of time going to Limerick and back.



Loop Head Lighthouse


Surprising sheer cliffs, tufty grass and I was concentrating on not losing my footing when I noticed how close I was to the edge - theres nothing obvious in your eye-line to indicate the sheer cliffs all around - no height reference until you are on top of them.




Bit of a wander walking around the lighthouse's wall, then manage to jump, slip, try to catch myself - but fall completely over, skid on my backside, save myself with my left hand which sinks into the peat!

So quickly jump up - no one saw - and just casually walked back to the car -  nothing to see! 
Just a tourist making a right arse of himself.

Arches of Ross

Returning back along the peninsula's north road a chance to pause stretch my legs with a cliff top walk. At some point there were a number of rock arches here, even pictures of victorian era people sitting on them drinking tea. I saw plenty of stratified rocks - impressive enough - but didn't see any arches left.


Kilkee Cliff Road

The first few turns and low seating position meant I was accelerating towards the sky, literally no visibility of what the road did over the brow and conscious I was right on the edge of the cliffs. Now and again the view would open up and show me the drop to my left - it had to be 10-20 metres - at least high enough to make a mess of anything going over it, and sheer/low enough that there wouldn't be any possibility of getting out of the car in time!

It feels like I'm about 5-10 meteres away from the edge, really not over keen on this bit, it would only take a lapse of concentration for a second or any sort of mechanical issue and I would be over the edge.

...Just a bit of a mount of earth at the side of the road is all that is between me and oblivion!

...cliffs getting lower again - sigh of relief.


Strand Camping Doonbeg

Very friendly owner came out to say hello as soon as I drew up at the campsite. This time there were a few more caravans, but I basically had the pick of the pitches. The car was a bit of a state - combination of a wet day and cattle movement on the roads means she's soon covered in mud, the campsite owner lent me the required cleaning equipment and I got the Zero looking presentable again.

Right on the coast again, this is the view just across the road from the site.

No comments :

Post a Comment