Saturday 16 February 2013

Swirl pot & Whitworth's legacy

GBS turned around my replacement fuel swirl pot really quickly from their supplier - so time to re-install the high pressure fuel system.

Sir Joseph Whitworth thankfully popularised standardisation in the 1800s, unfortunately the swirl pot manufacturer hasn't cottoned on yet and the mounting points on my replacement swirl pot are not in the same places as the old one. Its not big deal really just meant a little adjustment on the mounting holes to line up with the existing rivnuts:

Then replacing the high pressure fuel system itself;

There was some forum discussion on high pressure fuel pump mounting & I couldn't remember if I had used a GBS mounting kit for it, or just assumed the mounting mechanism..

I decided to use an alternate approach which I saw on David Smeatons blog; a couple of 54mm exhaust clamps.

Before:

After:

Back to square one again and checked out - I ran the engine a couple of times today and so far no leaks!