Wednesday 13 February 2013

Sieve

I thought I was building a car,  turns out every chance they get the liquids want to leave, temporarily its behaving more like a sieve :)

So far it looks like this:

Updated - 24/2/13


Diff flange plate nut - new & to be solved

I have a slow drip now from the front of the diff - not around the seal, but the end of the flange plate  near the centre nut. Its about 2-3 drops every 24 hours. The diff seals are new - I suspect its getting through the splines somehow. I also suspect I'll need to at least unbolt the propshaft to remediate it which will be fun through the top of the transmission tunnel - hopefully I can resolve it without removing the diff entirely.
Update - I think it was over filled, once I had checked the breather was clear and set the car back level its stopped dripping


Cooling system - thermostat housing - needs re-assembly

The pipes/hoses are fine, just needed tweaking on the bottom rad hose and it was all good. Thermostat housing, very slight ooze when everything is up to temperature. I suspect I need to sand the thermostat middle plate flat (seen this method on Paul94's blog) and probably add some instant gasket for good measure.
Update - Turned out it was one of the temperature sensors that was leaking & just needed tightening a little; if it re-occurs I'll re-install the sensor with some gasket paste.


Brake fluid - pending filling/bleeding

This one is much easier and expected - as the fluid goes in the various brake line connectors need tweaking. I put some PTFE around the brake light switch before I started; I've read this can leak if its merely tightened into the union.
Update - No real problems; I've yet to 'stand on the brakes' but so far everything is fluid tight with a firm brake pedal.


Fuel system - pending re-assembly

The new swirl pot has arrived from GBS & the Facet fuel pump is rock solid now, so should be good on this one once its re-assembled.
Update - New swirl pot in place and everything is fuel tight again


Engine oil

Touch wood - no issues here !


Lesson for the builder - liquids in early while there is room to work around the components. 
Not too downhearted - just need to work each problem.