Wednesday 4 July 2012

Cut out the nosecone for the grille

This process wasn't strictly necessary, but I had decided to try and create a cleaner effect on the nose opening. I was originally going to buy the kit spares Jag style grille, but for various reasons went down a DIY route instead:

  1. The standard grilles all fit on the outside of the nose, in front of a lip/edge - I think they look neater fitted from behind.
  2. Kit Spares Jag grille is expensive (although keep in mind while my grille was under half the price I had to buy a Dremel to fit it)
  3. I knew I could not cut/edge my grille neatly enough to fit on the outside
  4. ...  because I thought I could ...

These are the lead up jobs, creating the template and cutting the grille

    Grille Mesh arrived
    Grille Mesh fitting

Before

This was 'ok' but not really good enough, its still obvious this design of nose needs a grille mounted from the front - the other options of painting in the surround or leaving as is would just not have done the grille justice.

After

The result of about an hour of work with the Dremel, the grille is just held up to check the effect, and dust is sticking to everything including where masking tape was lifted - but the effect is EXACTLY what I was looking for:
This is the first GRP work I have done, and about the second job with the Dremel. I did practice a tiny cut on an area that doesn't show on the back to check how it dealt with GRP.

Process

This is some more detail of how I approached it. I have read various blogs/articles on cutting GRP - first lesson - the dust is nasty, don't breathe it or get it in eyes, and even if you get it on your skin its small enough to get in pores and itch. If you breathe it the payback can be in 20 years time as it sits in your lungs and tears them apart.

First step is assembling  safety equipment:

Mask

I masked up the opening, and thought about it - for about a week - Mask up, mark the line, scribe the gelcoat & cut through the masking tape is best advice.
I didn't - exactly - I masked up to make sure me leaning on the nose would not scuff it - but then relied on eye, I was actually cutting in the corner of the rebate so had a natural line to follow.

Cut

The tool I used was a side cutting drill bit/router type blade at 15k RPM, This didn't scratch or chip the GRP at all, held 90 degrees to the front edge and simply/slowly cut around, taking 2-3 goes to get to the actual edge. Stopping/pulling out was the hardest part - the bit would wobble more as I pulled it out of the GRP so made sure to be away from the edge when I did so.


Finishing

Then a sanding drum, again at 15k RPM (any slower seemed to vibrate everything and felt like it would chip. I took the edge back 3-4mm in places with the sander, just carefully trying to make long sweeps with constant pressure - if you stop in one place it creates a dip.




Result

I may go around again carefully by hand to make sure there are no lumps/bumps - but its pretty close to what I wanted. Any marks are the masking tape residue rather than scratches and I've not cleaned off the dust yet:


Mocked up with the grille 

Very pleased! - just needs a stock 'Zero' badge in the corner

I'm intending to glue in cable tie bases then cable tie the grille in place from the inside - but that is for another day (Grille Attachment). I also need to consider fitting the nose - this arrangement means the grille cannot be removed or installed with the nose on the chassis.

No comments :

Post a Comment