Monday 4 June 2012

Brake line routing

Unrolling the brake lines was a mistake - it makes them very difficult to thread through the chassis - starting to make progress though. I have routed the rear line & nearside - temporary held with masking tape until I'm sure they are in the right place.

I had to re-bend these to make sure I'm tight enough inside the pedal box:

I'll re-check these before fixing for clearance with the firewall position which sits on top of the chassis cross member; They also need some tubing where they cross the chassis to prevent chafing - either some tube from the local fish shop - or measure out and see if I have any spare vinyl fuel hose:
(it would be nice not to have the lines cross like that - but they have to somewhere)  
I connected the rear brake line from the single outlet nearest the pushrod on the master cylinder and the 2x front lines from the two outlets next to each other farthest from the push rod.

Rear routing, through the tunnel - the union will be bolted to the single central hole:
With hindsight I think the line should go over the handbrake mounting brackets - it leaves more room between the lines & the handbrake cables.

Nearside routing:
I'm going across the chassis at the rear tube here no chance of the engine or anything in the engine bay moving and pinching it.

More tubing will be required on the corner here to prevent chafing:


Offsite yet to do - I can feel my thumbs now after all that pipe bending.


I'm going to buy an M6 nut/bolt to secure the rear 4way union to the existing hole - the small rivnut and bolt the union came with can find another job later on. (ultimately re-drilled the hole and mounted with the original rivnut: moved the brake 4-way)

No comments :

Post a Comment