Friday 12 April 2013

Spare wheel carrier #2

Its starting to get warm enough to work, but raining today so I decided to do a little construction.

My GT Chassis has a factory modification to allow fitting a spare wheel carrier, it needs fully fitting out including the wheel retaining bolts which in turn will allow me to finish carpeting the boot interior.

First up the bolts which retain the 'U' bar - these just needed cutting to length and a little fettling to get the U bar protruding the right depth for my tyre:

The U bar takes the tyre weight, then I decided on two threaded bars through the boot panel to steady and retain it. Behind the panel another plate of stainless bonded in place strengthens things and spreads the load:

My two threaded rods. I couldn't find M12x1.5 rod (the same as the wheel bolts) but did find M12x1.25 & some matching nylocs & locking wheel nuts:
Hindsight - I ended up fitting double nuts either side of the panel. This means they lock against each other and I can choose which one undoes - rather than the loosest one.

The threaded bars bolted in place with nylocs either side of the rear panel, on the inside this will be covered by carpet - leaving the bolts exposed so its possible to remove the wheel:

Then the wheel slips over them:

Hindsight - These nuts are doubled up now & a washer

Of course - this all has to come off for the IVA retest, the threaded rods will need some paint too to prevent a nice rust effect & a number plate bracket & light arrangement. 

Still - at least building things is a more positive experience than doing nothing waiting for the weather to clear!

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful job on the spare tire holder and very nice car. May I ask, where did you find those long M12-1.25 bolts & nuts? ~Bill in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill,
    eBay - they are actually just M12 threaded rods, I think I bought 1m then cut it in half. There seems to be lots stateside too, i.e. no need for you to buy from the vendor I used inthe uk. Doubled up nylocs on each side of the panel to hold them in place.

    After this picture I put two nylocs on the outside, and a nyloc + locking wheel nut on the inside of the boot - so I can remove the wheel without it loosening the rods

    ReplyDelete