Sunday 21 April 2013

Noise - testing the sound levels

Al Milton kindly offered to come round and help test the noise levels, he had access to a noise level meter.

After a couple of runs today with Al's help it looks like I'm anywhere between 92dBA and 99dBA - depending on the revs; So the wire wool in the silencer is definitely doing its job.  Thank you Al for giving up your Sunday morning!

David S kindly shared the outputs from his recent Dyno run - David has an identical engine, intake, exhaust & silencer setup to me. David's Zero was producing 163bhp @ 6,067rpm before tuning & 168bhp @ 6,182rpm after.

I'm hoping I can use this information to persuade IVA I put the wrong values on the application form (165bhp @ 6,500rpm advised by GBS). I already discussed changing the rpm on the form & they will do so provided I can come up with some evidence. If I can get a lower max power RPM on the form the noise text will also be run at a lower rev range (0.75 x max power RPM) & get me a little breathing room on the noise levels.


Good support from my fellow RHOCaR club members -  Thank you!

No comments :

Post a Comment