Monday 2 July 2012

Offside front suspension & Steering rack

Back on the original plan so I'm going to install all the suspension and get to rolling chassis before the side panels go on.

Offside front completed

Underbody seal completed now I can access the offside.
Front offside upright completed.

Started on the steering rack

The extension bars have pretty nasty rusted threads, so there is no way to tighten them onto the rack without its arms spinning - even when holding them with maul grips.

WD40 in the extensions for this evening, and I've ordered an M14 tap to try and clean them up a little before trying again. The rack itself & ball joint threads seem fine - i.e. can wind both the ball joints and nuts virtually the entire thread - smooth and clean feeling.

The extensions are another matter:
  • Visibly rusty internal threads which will wind on the rack or each other about 1" before locking solid.
  • Rough external threads which will take the locking nut, but again only wind into the ball joins about 1".

Thoughts on the rack


The ball joints only want fitting once - so I need to leave things in a state where I can dismantle them - and not tighten them! I might even jury rig a wooden spar across to let me roll the chassis around....

No comments :

Post a Comment