Sunday 1 July 2012

Nearside suspension complete

The original thinking was to install the suspension and get to a rolling chassis to make space for work on the engine, after setting up the nearside suspension, I am having a re-think.

Nearside rear

Hubs back on, with my steel bar 'tool' to stop the hub rotating and a breaker bar to tighten. These are as tight as I can get with my whole weight on the end of the 1m breaker bar:

Strategically placed wheel nuts to protect the wheel stud threads:

Disc and calliper assembled and bolts torqued/thread-locked:

Put a wheel in situ to check the fit - this bottom bolt is a little close to the rim:

I have already installed the flexible brake line - which now gets in the way of torquing this wishbone bolt. The brake lines have to screw into the calliper first, rotating + lock nut, then when tight mount the chassis end with its lock nut.

Nearside front

Front suspension installed and top/bottom ball joints torqued:


Re Think

Then I stopped and started to rethink my build order.
Originally I would be taking the front suspension off again later to install the side panels - i.e. both sides and the steering rack.

I am now thinking about getting the side panels on now and avoiding assembling/dismantling the nearside brake calliper/disc, offside ball joints etc , and only installing the steering rack / wheel once.

Undecided...

Side Panels

Took a look at the side panels - this is the point part way down where the panel bends around the chassis, it will need fully cutting through:





No comments :

Post a Comment