Sunday 29 July 2012

Raceline sump preparation

I'm not quite ready to complete fitting of the low profile sump, I need to drain the engine of oil so need a 5 litre tray for that. However I could prepare & assemble the new Raceline  sump for fitting.

This wasn't a cheap component, but the only option unless I was prepared, or able, to cut & re-weld the OEM sump. Its a well made kit so certainly don't regret the investment.

First job was to clean everything & make sure there was no production swarf or other remnants left. As per instructions I sluiced through and washed out with warm soapy water. This did find a number of filings especially around the baffles and in the corners of the pan:

Fitting the oil pickup with its o-ring seals, finger filter & the sump gasket. They all just push into place, then the oil pickup has a securing bolt to the bottom of the pan. The gasket is keyed at either end and can only go in one way.

Everything was left to completely dry out from the cleaning at this point.

Two tiers of windage trays. Bolts, lock washers and Loctite on the first one, then standoffs (two of which are keyed) bolts and Loctite on the second. A little challenging to torque the 4x bolts on the curved part of the windage tray, I don't have any hex drive attachments for my socket spanner. They all have thread lock & tightened to 20nm.

Some more tools required before I can go further, 32mm socket so I can tighten the plug on the filter, a wide opening adjustable spanner (for various jobs) & a 5 litre+ oil tray for emptying the engine.

No comments :

Post a Comment