Sunday 8 July 2012

Steering column - prep for rolling chassis

The steering will all be setup for rolling chassis, but not permanently attached. Steering column is going in next for its final install.

Upper column bush

I have seen a couple of builds with this pushed in from the engine bay side, so double checked with Richard when I was at the Newark show. The inner nylon bush sits inside the rubber grommet from the inside of the car, it effectively locks the rubber grommet into the chassis opening and means it cannot work itself lose during use.

This is how (I believe) the outer bush fits in the grommet:

The grommet goes in the chassis hole first, then the nylon bush is inserted. This is incredibly tight, and notwithstanding I had inserted it before I could not get it to fit. I cleaned out the chassis bracket to remove powder coat and eventually it went together:

Bulkhead cover plate

I modified the cover plate, I think its meant to be attached from the engine side of the bulkhead, but I found it impossible to install the grommet & bush when it was in that position.

I fitted the cover plate from the inside, cutting the top edge off and adjusting the steering column cutout & putting a slight bend in it to ensure clearance from the bush. Bonded and riveted in place, this will all be carpeted when completed.

Brake pedal alignment

The brake pedal was very close to the fluted part of the column when in its forward adjusted position, noted on day one of the build. Advice from Richard was to either pack it out or bend the pedal. Bending the pedal wasn't going to work - I don't have the tools or indestructible bench & vice needed.

I therefore dismantled and re-worked the pedal box. Cut the nylon bush into two parts, and reduced the length of the pivot tube so I could get the pedal as far out of the way as possible while still cleanly operating the master cylinder:

Plenty of clearance now with the upper column in all its adjustment range, and the column 'washer' moved down to stop the inner bush riding out of the outer bush.

I need to check there is room for the accelerator though. Checked - plenty of room, but the accelerator mounting bolt goes through the pedal box panel - so will have to wait & the end of that peddle bolt might need to be shortened too.


What I thought might have been a simple job turned out to take a reasonably long time getting everything where it needed to be, especially the upper column bush!

No comments :

Post a Comment