Saturday 30 June 2012

Wheel Stud installation complete

I finished the wheel stud install. The fronts were, or seemed to be, easier to wind in than the rears, either because the front hubs are thinner or I had a more solid rig or a bit of both. Each stud took about 10 mins to wind in.

Notwithstanding the comment on the fronts being easier, I still had to use all my body weight to wind these in - partly because I couldn't get a longer spanner on the nut.
  • Squirt of WD40 in the hub hole
  • 7-8 Washers
  • Open ended nut on backwards packed with grease
  • Wind on one 1/2 a flat at a time
  • Take care to protect the threads on studs already installed with the spare nut

I thought the front hubs might have been hard to hold still, but a 1m long scrap steel bar with 10mm & 13mm holes in made the perfect jig for stopping anything moving.

The first 2 studs go on with a spare nut/bolt through a stud hole, centre boss stops anything moving:

The second two use existing studs and the spare wheel nut to anchor the steel bar, the bar is resting on the unthreaded part of the stud bottom right:

All Set:

Using the steel bar was a much better method than holding the hubs in the vice like I did with the rears.

For reference these are High Tensile Ford 12mm 1.5 studs, 47mm long, 13.1mm spline diameter (sourced from Mtec racing)

No comments :

Post a Comment