Wednesday 20 June 2012

Grille mesh arrived

I was intending to buy the GBS Jag style grille mesh, and nearly did at Newark - unfortunately GBS still have some significant items left to deliver on the original kit order so decided to wait until all square with them before putting more on the account.

In the meantime I looked around for options - Zunsport (via Ebay) sell the basic mesh at a hugely discounted price over the GBS offering. GBS is fitted/trimmed etc to sit on the outside/front edge of the nosecone which I cannot compete with. My intention is to cut the rectangle of mesh I have and fit from the inside - i.e. I should get a nice clean/neat edge from the exterior view.

I'm thinking a a couple of cable tie bases bonded in the nosecone at strategic points then cable tie it in place should do the trick.

These pictures don't do the grille justice, but I'm not taking it out of thre bag yet: 540mmx230mm sheet is perfect for the Zero nose:

Its powdercoat or plastic coat over stainless steel wires:

Template from the nose:

I will only need to trim the sides a little and take the corners off, since I am mounting from the inside the nose itself will make it look tidy. This isn't as bad as it looks vertically, since there is a lip on the inside of the nosecone it actually overlaps a good cm or so. I will leave 2-3 times that on either side to cable tie it into place.

Minor problem:

I can't cut it :) ..  pliers & nibbler aren't the right tools, hack saw vibrates too much. I think it needs a rotary tool - I'll see if I can borrow one.

No comments :

Post a Comment