Saturday 23 June 2012

Grille mesh fitting

The jigsaw, with metal cutting blade, I thought I would have a go at the stainless grille.
The cuts dont have to be acurate since I am mounting it from inside the nose with the intention of the nose opening dictating the grille shape, rather than the grille sitting on the front.

Damage:

The mesh is stronger than I expected & I managed to overheat a jigsaw blade in the process - infact totally melted down its teeth to smooth, along with the sweet smell of melting plastic coating.

Success:

Measure up, I only want to make 5 cuts; shorten the width and take each corner off:


Masked up so I don't scuff the good side:

Result:

Mocked up

It looks like I'll need to touch up the very edge of the nose with some red paint 
  -or- paint the recessed part black 
  -or- actually try and cut back the recessed part; 

Otherwise very pleased with the effect so far:

Target:

This is the sort of effect I am ultimately after - this pic is a Westfield, but the principle applies:


No comments :

Post a Comment