Friday 29 March 2013

Prototype exhaust baffle

In the quest to quieten the exhaust 2dbA @ 4875rpm best advice is a baffle. 

The design of the GBS silencer precludes a standard baffle in the tailpipe (it might take one in the inlet pipe), so my first attempt is the wire wool approach. I created a cage from some galvanised mesh - the wire wool loops around the centre section and back on itself which stops it being blown out of the cage:

First attempt - too much wool and my 'baffle' turned into a mini missile as the engine simply pushed it out. Second try I reduced the amount of wool by about 50% (relative to this picture) and everything seemed to stay in place, turning it 90ยบ as it is fed in the tailpipe lets me slide the whole assembly a resonable amount inside:

The next step is to do some measuring to check its actually making a difference & decide how to keep this in the tailpipe - it needs more than just friction, possibly a bolt through the underside? - I need to think that through before making permanent changes:

Promising start though...

Thought - The regulation says I the exhaust can have 'manufacturers drainage holes' so probably hooking one of the cage wires through one of those will do the trick?

Update - I need to confirm how far the lambda testing probe is inserted - it may mean I need to keep the tailpipe completely clear and sort out the baffle on the intake end of the silencer.

No comments :

Post a Comment